Monday, April 23, 2012

DIY Dishwasher Detergent

I made some homemade laundry detergent today! I have to say I'm way excited to have clean dishes again! It didn't take me very long to make!

All it took was 
3 Ingredients (which you can find at your local Walmart):

*3 cups Borax
*3 cups Washing Soda (NOT baking soda look in  the laundry detergent isle!)
*1 cup Lemi-Shine Powder (Must be powder not liquid! Look near dishwasher rinse aids)

Mix it all together in a bowl then put into whatever AIR TIGHT container you desire. It only takes 2 tbsp per load of dishes. This makes 7 cups of detergent.

Note: I've seen people add lemon essential oils to it as well, but the lemi shine smells nice and essential oils can be expensive!


Now, one reason I decided to start making my own detergent was because my store bought stuff just doesn't cut it! I end up having to do a load with just white vinegar after I've already washed them! And another reason is to save money!! One lady already did the math on how much it saves:

"In the end, you’ll wind up paying around $3.09 for 6 cups worth. Since each load only requires 2 tablespoons, you’ll have enough for 48 loads. That’s $0.06 per load! Compare to $0.15-$0.30 per load with the store bought varieties, which means you’re paying around 1/3 the price. If you do one load per day you’ll end up saving at least $40 per year by making it yourself.


Now that's a lot of savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment